February 15, 2009

why be part of a guild?

Personally, I consider myself an anti-social. It takes me a great deal of effort to actually walk up to someone I've just met and start a conversation.

Since I started participating in a forum five years ago, I realized that being friends with people, even those that you don't think you'll ever see personally, is an amazing feat. You get to learn from them, without any prejudice, because you don't know them personally.

Incidentally, I used to prefer playing alone. It was still the Ragnarok Online hype in the Philippines then, and I didn't really care much about my character dying almost every minute and I had to walk from the town I've resurrected at back to the spot where I'm completing my quest or simply trying to gain experience points in. I told myself I don't need a guild, because I can very well buy all the potions I need.

Eventually, Ran Online became the "in" thing. That's the game that changed my perspective about MMORPGs forever.

In Ran, you desperately need a Shaman to keep you company, because your HP potions are definitely not enough to let you stand a chance against the mobs. It also means that you constantly have to be in a party, to ensure you will not lose the experience points you have just gained because you keep dying. Another reason why you shouldn't die is that there is a 50% chance that you will drop an item which is usually your most prized one (I dropped a lot of +7 swords).

That was when I appreciated I was in a guild.

I joined one accidentally. I mistook it for a party invitation.

Being in a guild is like being in a huge group of friends in an instant. As a player, your guildmates will teach you the ins and outs of the game, especially when you need assistance in finishing a quest or task. They are your personal walkthroughs and game guides, without you having to exert so much effort because you get your answers immediately. As a friend, they will be accommodating enough to chat with you when you don't feel like leveling your character. In the process, you get to know each other better as fellow players and in-game friends.

Like in any other case, it is inevitable that you get into arguments with your guildmates. It may lead to either of you leaving the guild if the problem cannot be settled. Nevertheless, it is beneficial in the way that you learn how to deal with people you do not agree with and hopefully make up for it.

Rest assured, your guildmates are there not just to assist you and be your best friends in-game but also to make your gaming life fun. Oftentimes, you'll find yourself realizing that you're playing because of your guild.

1 comment:


  1. Do you need Finance?
    Are you looking for Finance?
    Are you looking for a money to enlarge your business?
    We help individuals and companies to obtain loan for business
    expanding and to setup a new business ranging any amount. Get a loan at affordable interest rate of 3%, Do you need this cash/loan for business and to clear your bills? Then send us an email now for more information contact us now via Email financialserviceoffer876@gmail.com Whats App +918929509036

    ReplyDelete